Sports

Ghana reported to FIFA over governmental intrusion

Ghana reported to FIFA over governmental intrusion

Ghana football is facing an international ban after a former FA Executive committee member reported the country to Fifa, claiming that the government is interfering in the administration of the sport.

Kojo Yankah, who doubles as Western region football chief, wrote to the world governing body on Wednesday over the Ministry of Youth and Sports’ attempt to organize a special competition for local clubs.

It has been confirmed that Fifa has received the letter.

Kojo Yankah says the Sports Ministry’s decision to bypass the Normalisation Committee to organize a competition for local clubs to keep players active is “unconstitutional and unwarranted”

While refusing to give details on the content of the petition, the outspoken football administrator confirmed receiving an acknowledgment from the world governing body.

“They are destroying our football and we’ll not sit down and allow that to happen,” he told Kwadwo Mensah ‘Moshosho’ on Asempa FM’s Ultimate Morning show Thursday.

“Where in the world does a ministry organize a competition for clubs? I have written to FIFA and copied the FA. FIFA has acknowledged receipt of my letter.

“At the moment, I am waiting for the action of FIFA. We are destroying our game on the alter of normalizing football. It’s unconstitutional.”

The country’s sports minister has thus set-up a seven-member committee chaired by his deputy Perry Okudzeto to resolve the outstanding issues of regulations, financial package and the management of the competition.

GHANAsoccernet.com predicted the move will be met with an opposition amid a potential FIFA ban over government interference.

The world governing body will view the latest development as direct government interference and may be forced to step in.

There is anger within the ranks of the Normalisation Committee as they view the setting up of the committee as governmental interference in their work.

This shows that there is a big rift brewing between the Normalisation Committee and the Sports Ministry over who controls the game in the country but the government is likely to win the tussle as it is providing the finance to get the tournament underway.

The contradictions by the stakeholders after Monday’s meeting has muddied waters and thrown the competition into a ditch.

Normalization Committee vice-president Lucy Quist rubbished claims highly experienced former sports minister Hon. OB Amoah on the standoff.

The latest decision is a massive slap on the competence of the four-member committee, who have been unable to reach an agreement with clubs over the competition.

Massive power play and ego-infested machination could be triggered and deepened, with the interim body unlikely to let it slide as its dent their competences for the top job.

The interim Ghana FA has been told to focus on reviewing status and activate the processes for elections, in what appears a damning assessment of their tenure so far.

Source: GHANAsoccernet.com

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem?

Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe eveniet.

Copyright © 2015 Flex Mag Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by Wordpress.

To Top
0
Connecting
Please wait...
Send a message

Sorry, we aren't online at the moment. Leave a message.

Your name
* Email
* Describe your issue
Login now

Need more help? Save time by starting your support request online.

Your name
* Email
* Describe your issue
We're online!
Feedback

Help us help you better! Feel free to leave us any additional feedback.

How do you rate our support?